8 Fun Gift Ideas for a 2-Year-Old
It was my gorgeous lamppost-licking niece’s 2nd birthday last week. She is my cover star on Facebook. She has a new favourite toy, Nana (we don’t know why she called it this either), so Mrs Pig has been relegated to the side of the cot. She loves dolls so it’s nice that her new Moulin Roty doll is soft enough to take to bed with her. Her plastic doll, Poppy, would take an eye out.
On reflection, a massive sheet of bubble wrap may have been a better gift. She loves it and gets hilariously grumpy if you pop one for her. Last Summer, after lockdown restrictions were lifted, I was able to go to their garden and see them for the first time in months. I was blowing bubbles and she kept saying “bubbles”. I didn’t think anything of it other than it was cute. Her parents came outside and she said it again and they were blown away that she had said her first word other than ‘mama’. Hadn’t even noticed. Bad aunty. Whoops.
Here are some great gift ideas for a 2-year-old’s birthday:1. The cuddly Moulin Roty doll (£35), is available in pink or blue. This gorgeous soft doll is small and light, perfect for little hands. The clothes come off (other than the hat) which adds extra play value. There’s an extra clothing set available separately which extends the play time but they’ll need help dressing their new friend. My niece really likes putting things in the little gift box the clothes come in.
2. Press Here by Hervé Tullet (£11.99). There’s a reason this was on the New York Times Bestseller list for FIVE YEARS. It’s wonderfully creative and makes 2-year-olds chuckle. A great read.
3. I also really love At The Farm Follow and Spot Puzzle (£15). This 10 jumbo piece jigsaw puzzle contains a maze they can follow with their finger and find the 20 hidden items. One of my customer reviews says “there are enough small details to keep my toddler absorbed. He asks to play with this every day and spotting the items has helped his vocabulary”.
4. If you’re a fan of cute, then take a look at The Bear And His Raggedy Ruff (£20). This charmingly chunky bear is pluffy and snuggable, both words that I have apparently made up but describe him perfectly.
5. The Wooden Threading Farm (£18) from Belgium toy maker, Egmont has been a huge hit. I really like it as it’s so easy for me to gift wrap! I do love a nice square box. The wooden farm pieces are great quality and brightly coloured.
6. Le Toy Van’s wooden Vanilla Birthday Cake (£15) is completely gluten free. It comes with 6 slices of cake that Velcro together and each slice has a birthday candle. The cake can be ‘cut’ with the wooden cake slice. My niece can now count to 5 so this can help with adding up and taking away practice.
7. The Noodoll Bottle (£15.90) is a great environmentally friendly gift. This drinking flask is available in pink or yellow and has an adorable kawaii face on the front. It’s the perfect size for little people.
This is just a small sample of the great gifts for 2-year-olds that I offer. For more choice just click here to have a browse!